Day 8 (12:45 pm)- I've learned to tell the time of day by the position of the Sun. I haven't seen any signs of rescue- no ship, no plane, no boat, no helicopter, or ANYTHING! I'm starting to lose hope of survival. It's so strange- I'm on a gorgeous island, the water is crystal-drenched blue, the sun is shining, palm trees pulsating in the wind, but I feel helpless. This is when I start to think about all these great people who have survived a great deal before, and this gives me more hope for the way I'll survive now. I think of my sister, Stacy, who persevered through her diabetes, which she was born with. Compared to her struggle, maybe mine isn't quite that bad at this moment. I also think of Uncle Matthew, my godfather who battled through his kidney and heart disease and living with just one lung. I think of the path he took to becoming a strong, successful person and the ways in which the journey he went on will help give me the courage to survive. These recollections have motivated me to build a raft from driftwood.
I'm going to lash it together with tight creepers that are growing all over the ground.
Day 9 (10:00 pm)- I open up my eyes and I see a BOLD tsunami of angry blackness on the horizon coupled with silver lightning streaks. The wind on the water gushed toward the shore at the wild pace of a black Mustang race car. All of a sudden, a palm tree branch falls down on me and knocks the life OUTTA ME!!!!! When I regained consciousness, my right leg is pinned to the ground. I see a big branch, and it's preventing me from moving. I cannot escape it. Soon enough I get reminded of Aron Ralston, who got his arm pinned by a rock in Blue John Canyon. He was an expert, and I'm just a newcomer. I thought maybe that if he could do it all by himself, that perhaps I might be able to as well. One thing I know about myself is that even when I am under pressure, I can remain stable and calm. With Aron's story on my mind, I close my eyes and begin to wiggle myself back a forth with the power of a hundred lightning bolts. Thanks to god, I was able to get my leg free. I crawled back to higher ground.
Day 10 (9:00)- Today was a feast day. The skies are sunny, I'm beaten of hunger and thirst and I decide to search for things to eat and drink that could have washed up from the tsunami. To my astonishment I see fish washed up all over the place. I decide to wait and start a fire. I decided to gather them all up to start a fire. I find a children's metal beach pale washed up on the shore, and start to think about the possible uses of it. Maybe catch some fresh water, use it as a seat, or perhaps try and catch a small fish with it. I walk another fifty yards, and to my surprise, I see a North Face backpack washed up on shore. I unzip the backpack, and this is what I found. I find an open raspberry nutrigrain bar, and decide to eat it savagely. I also found:
-An old CD by Avril Lavigne
-An iPod that's been waterlogged
-A water bottle
-An old T-Shirt that says, "I love rattlesnakes"
-A few nickles and some loose change floating around in there
I think of the possibilities of the uses for each of things to help me get rescued.
Day 11 (8:00 pm)- The nights are dark and warm, so the warm gives me a sense of comfort. Plus, before it gets really dark, the beautiful sunsets give my heart a sense of inspiration to get myself out of harm's way. The other good thing is that I've survived this far and feel more hopeful that I'll get rescued.
No comments:
Post a Comment